A checklist for dealing with people who are playing politics.
Workplace politics is a tactic used by people in order to get what they want and get ahead of others. It is a reality. If you want to be successful in your organisation you need to know how to be politically savvy. Workplace politics is not good or bad, you can work in a blast furnace if you have an asbestos suit this questionnaire could be your asbestos suit. What is the issue/situation?
- In the overall scheme of things how important is this to me?
- What is REALLY going on?
- Why am I really concerned?
- What is the worst that could happen?
- How long has this been going on?
Who is involved?
- Who will the activity/outcome affect apart from me?
- Do I fully understand all the people ramifications?
- What might others reactions be if I do something/nothing?
- Has anyone else had this problem in the past? Who else do I need to involve?
- Whose support do I need to get?
What do I know about the other party?
- Is it me, my position or my boss they are working against?
- What are they really motivated by?
- What real evidence do I have?
- How can I obtain confirmation of my suspicions?
- What might be driving their behaviour?
- Is there a hidden agenda?
- Are they working to their own or the organisation’s objectives?
- How much support do they have; a lot or only a little?
- And who?
- Have they done this to someone else before?
- Do I like them?
Am I part of the problem?
- Am I seen as a soft touch or too nice?
- Is it because I am difficult to deal with?
- Could it be that my motives or behaviour has been misunderstood?
- Could it be revenge for something I once did?
- Have I been associated with someone else who is the real target?
- Do we communicate effectively?
- How effective am I at influencing?
What should my strategy be?
- Am I really sure there is a need to do something?
- How will I go about it?
- Is there a sequence to be followed?
- How soon do I need to start?
- Should I approach them directly, or work with/through others?
- Who do I need to alert/get onside/build alliances with?
- Are there alternative approaches that are less risky?